The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) Monday shut a popular Chettinad restaurant in Chennai following complaints from six people that they experienced food poisoning after having meals at the eatery. The police first alerted FSSAI officials, who inspected the restaurant and allegedly found gross violations including a floating plastic cover inside a sambar vessel.
FSSAI officials said they received a call from the city police at 1.30 pm informing them that six people who had their lunch at the restaurant experienced severe vomiting and giddiness.
Based on the information provided by the police, the FSSAI team led by Dr Satheesh Kumar inspected the restaurant in the evening.
Speaking to Indianexpress.com, the official said 10 kg of stale meat was found stored inside a freezer box and the entire kitchen area was infested with flies and cockroaches.
“We have taken samples of the raw materials… and following the result, we will initiate further action. The restaurant had been running in the place for quite some time. When we questioned the management for the poor hygiene standards, they had no answers,” Kumar said.
Gross violations were found at a popular chettinad restaurant in T Nagar, Chennai. After six people complained of food poisoning, the local police alerted the Food Safety authorities, who conducted an inspection at the restaurant. (1/2) pic.twitter.com/ZebrROtbJL
— Janardhan Koushik (@koushiktweets) July 31, 2023
He noted that they have issued a stop-sale notice to the restaurant.
“The raw materials have to be destroyed. The management has to completely revamp the area. The officials will be auditing the space. Once the management provides all evidence and submits documents claiming that they will run the area following the safety protocols listed by the FSSAI, they will be allowed to reopen the restaurant. I will be monitoring this restaurant,” he added.