A portion of an under-construction house collapsed in Southeast Delhi’s Okhla Phase II, resulting in the death of two labourers and injuries to six others, on Thursday. Police said the incident took place at an industrial plot when the labourers were in the process of digging a basement 20 feet deep into the ground.
According to the MCD, the incident took place due to the subsidence of the earth on the rear side of the site.
Officials said the construction was authorised and the plan was sanctioned. No action has been taken against the construction manager or building owner so far.
As per Delhi Fire Services (DFS), they received a call around 4.55 pm about the collapse and rushed to the spot with three fire tenders. Atul Garg, DFS Chief, said, “A total of 13 persons were found trapped inside the building. Some of them were trapped deep under the debris. We managed to rescue and shift them to hospitals. Four of them were severely injured.”
Visuals from the spot show firemen, police officers and locals standing in the 20-foot-deep pit trying to locate the labourers as debris and mud from the construction lay all around. Fire officials said they had to dig the land further to rescue the workers.
Rajesh Deo, DCP (Southeast), said, “The construction was going on in the basement. In the afternoon, the material from the back side of the plot fell and a portion collapsed on the workers. Nearly eight persons were injured. All of them were shifted to AIIMS Trauma Centre where two men died.”
The deceased have been identified as Raman (18) and Mintu (50). Other workers, Gulshan (28), Devender (33) and Nitish (23), are under treatment in the ‘red zone’ at AIIMS Trauma Centre, said the police. Three other workers, Arun (22), Nirmal (23) and Jaldhar (50), received minor injuries and are stable.
“A few labourers got buried under the loose mud and were taken out by DFS. Documents of the building including construction permission are being verified and a case under sections 304 A (causing death by negligence) and 288 (negligent conduct while repairing buildings) has been registered,” said an officer.
Worker Jwala Singh told the media: “I was standing near the wall and ran to save myself. We have been working here for three days. We were not provided with any safety equipment…”
The construction was authorised and the building plan was sanctioned, the MCD said in a statement.a