The two characters both take centre stage in the new game, with players swapping between them as they team up to battle villains including Venom, Lizard and Kraven the Hunter.
Buy Spider-Man 2
PlayStation 5 – Spider-Man 2 Limited Edition
Insomniac has advised players who buy a physical copy of the game to download its launch day update.
While the disc-based version is playable out of the box without a patch or online requirement, Version 1.001.002 includes “notable enhancements” made to the game since it went gold last month, according to the studio.
It “improves the opening sections of the game and includes other general refinements to your Spidey experience, including some additional Accessibility Options”. We’ve republished the patch notes in full below.
Insomniac has said it’s working on a New Game Plus mode and a mission replay feature which are expected to be added to the game in an update later this year.
Spider-Man 2 Version 1.001.002 notes
- Vibration Setting: Switch between Experiential, Functional, or None
- Auto Heal: When enabled, if a full Focus Bar is available, use it to automatically heal when under the specified amount of health
- Controller Speaker Mode: Switch between Experiential, Functional, or Off
- High Contrast Perfect Dodge: Apply a high contrast color to the Perfect Dodge effect to improve visual clarity
General Fixes & Polish:
- Improved the visual fidelity of the opening gameplay sequence
- Addressed an issue where the player’s progression could become blocked during the Suit Tutorial
- General polish updates
- Improved performance and stability
- Various additional fixes and improvements
The Spider-Man 2 review embargo lifted on Monday and critics have heaped praise on the title, making it one of Insomniac’s highest rated games to date.
“Marvel Spider-Man 2 is an incredibly confident sequel and one of 2023’s best games,” according to VGC’s 5-star review.