Ubisoft has provided a brief update on Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time Remake.
Despite saying in May that players shouldn’t expect to hear more about the game this year, it offered a positive update on the title’s status this week.
“As you know, the passionate team at Ubisoft Montreal is reimagining this legendary story, and we are glad to announce today that the project has passed an important internal milestone and development is progressing,” it said.
“We look forward to sharing more in the future!”
As you know, the passionate team at @UbisoftMTL is reimagining this legendary story, and we are glad to announce today that the project has passed an important internal milestone and development is progressing.
We look forward to sharing more in the future!
— Prince of Persia™ (@princeofpersia) November 21, 2023
When it was announced in September 2020, the game had been in development for two and a half years at Indian studios Ubisoft Pune and Ubisoft Mumbai, and it was planned for release in January 2021.
But following a negative reaction to the game’s reveal trailer, it was delayed several times, and last year it was announced that Ubisoft Montreal, which made 2003’s original Sand of Time, had taken over development duties.
“In terms of the development stage, we’re in conception right now,” producer Jean-Francois Naud said this May. “Since we took over the project, we’ve been looking at feedback from the community and finding our own way of delivering the game.
“Now, we’re building up the team, defining the priorities, putting prototypes together, testing elements, and looking at how we can include community feedback in the development as well.
“It’s still in an early stage, and players should not expect to hear more about the game this year, but rest assured that we’re all putting our strengths and heart into this project.”