“He had studied till class X but had to take up plumbing because of our family’s financial condition,” said Vipin, brother of Raman who was found dead Friday in Commander Hospital’s water tank. Raman, along with his father Kunwar Pal and electrical engineer Sarvesh Kumar, was electrocuted while trying to repair the tank’s motor.
Kunwar had been working as a plumber at the Vikas Nagar hospital in Outer Delhi for the last five years, earning around Rs 200 per visit.
At the DDU hospital, where the postmortem was carried out Saturday, Dhanpal, Kunwar’s elder brother, told The Indian Express: “We received information about the incident around five hours later, around 7 pm… we were told Kunwar and his son were electrocuted”.
Kunwar is survived by his wife Raj Kumari, daughter Archana, and son Vipin. The family lived in Mohan Garden, around 5 km away from the hospital.
On Saturday evening, the family staged a protest outside the hospital with their bodies, alleging negligence on the part of the hospital
“Hospital authorities have not told us anything about what happened and how the electrocution occurred,” said Vipin, while Dhanpal pointed fingers at the hospital management.
“There is negligence on the part of the hospital too as water is generally drained out during the time of repair; it was not done in this case… we don’t know the circumstances under which they were made to work like this; they (the hospital) should take responsibility,” Dhanpal said.
Sarvesh’s family did not wish to comment.
For the hospital, father-son were their go-to men whenever anything needed fixing. On Friday, around 2 pm, they received one such call about the motor inside the hospital’s 14-foot-deep water tank not working.
They went to the hospital and, along with Sarvesh Kumar, got inside the water tank situated in the basement to fix the motor. Around 20 minutes later, their bodies were found floating on the water by hospital staffers. A police team rushed to the spot and the men were taken out of the tank.
Police said a case under IPC section 304A (causing death by negligence) has been lodged against unknown individuals.
DCP (Outer) Jimmy Chiram said the hospital owners will be questioned on whether they would provide any safety kits to workers during repairs and the standard safeguards maintained before such repairs. “They will also be questioned and engineers will be consulted on how much water should have been there inside the tank during the repair work,” said the DCP.
Hospital authorities remained unavailable for comment.
On Friday, Lakhan Singh Bharat, who owns the hospital along with his younger brother, had said, “I came rushing to the hospital when I heard about the incident… the men were outsourced to repair the motor… we don’t know how the incident occurred…”