Three workers, including a father-son duo, and an electrician, died after being electrocuted while working inside a water tanker at a hospital in Outer Delhi’s Ranhola Friday afternoon, officers said.
The deceased have been identified as Sarvesh Kumar, 59, a resident of Sahibabad in Ghaziabad, who worked as an electrical engineer at the hospital. The others were Kunwar Pal, 40, who worked as a plumber, and Raman, 20, Kunwar’s son, also a plumber.
DCP (Outer) Harendra Singh said they received a PCR call around 2.28 pm from the Commander Hospital in which it was alleged that an incident of electrocution has occurred and a few persons were trapped inside the water tank.
A police team reached the spot and found three persons lying inside a water tank, measuring around 14 feet, on the hospital premises. Police said that the site of the accident has been inspected and photographed by the mobile crime team and the FSL team.
Police said the reason of death is yet to be ascertained, adding it will be clear after the post mortem, which will be carried out on Saturday at the DDU Hospital. Delhi Fire Service (DFS) Chief Atul Garg said that after they received a call, two fire tenders were rushed to the spot.
Said Garg, “There was current in the water tank and three persons were electrocuted due to it…all of them had gone to repair the water tank.” After teams of DFS and police personnel came, the bodies were taken out of the tank which was filled with water and all three persons were unconscious.
Police has lodged a case under section 304A (Causing death by negligence) and further probe is underway.
Lakhan Singh Bharat, who owns the Commander Hospital along with his younger brother, said, “I came rushing to the hospital when I heard about the incident…the men were outsourced to repair the motor of the hospital’s water tank…we don’t know how the incident occurred…”
Raj Kumari, wife of Kunwar and mother to Raman, said, “We haven’t seen the bodies yet…Kunwar and Raman used to work as plumbers and most of the fitting work at the hospital has been done by them…I have no idea how the current spread as they knew their work very well and did not face any such issue in the past.”